Monday 4 May 2009

witness to a hideous crime

On Friday on my way back from work I witnessed a scene, which will be forever imprinted on my mind.
A lady was being mercilessly beaten by a man. He beat her down onto the ground and then stamped on her head as she lay on the ground her face covered in blood. Her children were screaming and trying to pull this man of their injured mother they were no older than 4 years. There was a crowd of men, women and children all standing around cheering and egging the attacker on. People were laughing. It was much like a crowd at a football match supporting there favourite team. I shouted at my piki driver to stop so that I could go and help the woman but he refused. I returned to the scene with a friend 10 minutes later to help the woman but she had already left, it was almost like it had never happened. The crowds were gone and the victim, her children and the attacker were all gone.
I have seen people being beaten by a mob before. Normally it has always been a homeless person or a crazy person and there has always been a crowd of people egging the mob on, or even throwing stones to hit the victim. I have never witnessed a crowd helping, or doing anything other than cheering and looking quite thrilled!

3 comments:

Auntie Amanda said...

oh isabelle. i'm just now reading these updates, because i thought i was subscribed but hadn't heard anything... turns out i wasnt! argh.
that is a really disturbing experience... one of the unpleasant things about being in a strange country. i wouldn't have known what to do either.
i know a woman right now who is being beaten by her husband and is afraid for her life to call the cops, and i'm afraid for her life if she doesn't. and in my profession i'm not allowed to intervene other than offer "suggestions" and phone numbers for womens shelters.
what a world.

Stacie said...

I just wanted to say hello. We are adopting an almost 5 yr old from Uganda. We are using an agency from the US. We hope to travel yet this summer to bring him home.

Sherry said...

Isabelle I actually had a few moments to get on the computer and wanted to get an update on you and Nathanial. I am so sorry to read about all you have been through. I can't imagine being away from home so long. I enjoyed my time in Uganda and would love to come back to visit one day but home is right where I belong. Bennett turned One on July 1st, my how time passes. He is growing so fast I can hardly believe it. He had to have tubes put in his ears yesterday due to the many ear infections he has had, but other than that he is amazing. How long are you gonna have to be in Uganda? Have you been able to take Nathanial home to visit your family? I plan on updating my blog this week and putting some new pictures of Bennett on there, it is just so much harder to find the time now that he is so mobil. I look forward to hearing from you. Please tell Amy I said hello and I would love a way to contact her if she has a blog or an email. My prayers are with you.

Blessings
Sherry